12 April 2006

Still in the land of the living

I was tempted to talk about [what i thought was] a possessed person in church this morning, but that would end up sounding really whiny.

Other than that, i'm still too tired from the super-busy last couple of weeks to say anything even mildly amusing, interesting, insightful, or good-natured [altogether]; and if there's one thing i've learned from life: It's better NOT TO TRY to say anything even mildly amusing, interesting, insightful, or good-natured [altogether]when I feel that way.

Easter Break is upon us... and not a moment too soon. For this (and for all other things as well): Thanks be to God.



(I have made a few template changes. Most notably, the blog title is no longer "3 things are ard to me and the fourth...i am ignorant." I don't know why i didn't think of it myself (given what my website url is), but it was through Kevin's (perhaps unwitting) introduction of my blog that this change has come about. But given that I am the kind of person who will pause for a long time before introducing myself to someone (because there are so many names by which i go), i think that this is a step in the right direction. In fact, come to think of it, it's time to consolidate some of my nicknames.

Thus: from now on i think it will be best to cut "Dan" off of the list. This name I will merge with "Don" so that while the name may still be written "Dan," the "a" will be darkened to something that sounds closer to "Don" (although it is a little different). This way, the nick-name is close to one that my family uses (just "think Jewish" when you say the "D" and it'll be perfect). All other nick-names still apply.

Yet, this may not completely solve the problem at hand.

Someone: What's your name?
Me: <pause>
Someone: <blank stare>
Me: Well my really name is... but some of my nick-names are.... Now, in the past I was called...

"And so on and so forth," as a teacher might say.


Oh shoot. Come to think of it, this post probably sounded really whiny....

2 Comments:

Blogger woodchvck said...

dude, you totally take the cake. for some reason, i think people have an easier time accepting the names of your brother slavs of the west. e.g., my father's name is Zdzislaw Kazimierz. although he, i think, for the sake of blending in, has always gone by "Jim" -- there's not one scrap of "James" in his name, but well, you know, it's all because of the crazy-ass sounds. anyways, i dunno how long, exactly, he's been doing it -- but long enough that my mother never calls him by his real name, even when she's bloody pissed at him and cursing in polish. alhthough what i could never figure out, is that his cousins in PA call him "Eugene" -- now that's just fool's gold.

4/12/2006 11:28 PM  
Blogger Emmanuyil said...

come to think of it, going by my middle name might have been easier from the onset....


you Poles have the greatest spellings anywhere...


say, are the polish swear words similar to the ones we have here (in america)? or are they more eastern? the dirtiest Ukrainian one i'm familiar with (though i never use it) means "cholera" -- and in other cases, i'm pretty sure there's stuff like "communicable skin rash be upon you" and other basically benign phrases like that.

4/14/2006 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home