18 February 2006

Die lustige Witwe


^The man himself^

I interrupt my weekend review of metaphysics to appreciate the arts. Gosh-darn-it-I-love-the-music-in-this-operetta.

What follow are the last few lines from the end of Act I and a bit of Act II (and Act I) of The Merry Widow by Franz Lehár (with libretto by Victor Leon and Leo Stein):

Camille
(to Valencienne)
Alone I'll vindicate the male sex!
His Ten thousand francs will not be paid.

Valencienne
Are you so in love?

Camille
You ordered. I obeyed.

Valencienne
You'll do no such thing!
(She masterfully drags him off. Only Danilo and Hanna remain.)

Danilo
The last has gone,good riddence too!
And we, we are alone.
Now I can dance with you.

Hanna
My vote i withdraw.

Danilo
I was your choice. Deny if you can.

Hanna
There's a flaw in your plan. You dance alone.

Danilo
Music is playing, lovers have kissed.
Madam, how can you resist?
(He stands behind her, leans over her shoulder, and tries to look into her face. She coquettishly avoids his glance.)

Hanna
I'm not dancing.
(Danilo dances round her.)
Oh you terrible man!
What exquisite dancing!

Danilo
I do what i can!



Now, why in the heck did I just post that? Looks pretty stupid when you just read the text. Well, just as movies would not be the same without appropriate music and flowers are only so, uh, appreciateable if you can't smell them, this script is no less. You'll just have to take my word for it, i suppose. Gosh, why do i like that so much.

Maybe this offers a little more (by itself):

Camille
But why, why must it end?
Red as the rose of Maytime
That blooms in bright array,
Love in my heart has open'd
And charmed my tears away.
Such royal crimson gleaming,
Entranced my waking eyes,
It seemed I still lay dreaming,
Yet walked in Paradise.
I know all beauty passes
And every sun must set,
But tho' the winter rages
My rose is lovelier yet.
Alone it grew in secret,
It knew nor dark nor light,
A phatom flow'r that never
Can fade from mortal sight.

(bloggers note: It gets better):

Valencienne
Oh Camille!

Camille
Valencienne!

Blogger (facetious)
Oh mein Herz!

Well, i don't think i feel comfortable posting any more than that, because we enter into the realm of lines similar in theme to the story Hanna tells in Act II:

Vilia, O Vilia, my nymph of delight....

Which, I'll have you know, does in fact supply us with some exquisite music...


Why did Hitler love this operetta so much?
If he didn't go for all that romantic (man/woman) stuff, the romantic (for fatherland) stuff must have attracted him:

Danilo
My very heavy Fatherland,
Whenever will you understand
I'll sweat for you with all my might,
But rather more by day than night?

(blogger's note: wait a minute...)

I'm sitting at my desk by One,
Among the files galore.
A little furtive drinking done
I'm back at home for drinks at Four.
At private interviews I'm posed,
The weary statesman in his chair,
But keep my mouth severely closed
With diplomatic savoir faire.

(blogger's note: say...)
...

For one brief hour entrancing
The moments fly romancing.
Lolo, Dodo, Joujou,
Cloclo and Margot too!
But when it comes to dancing
Goodbye, my Fatherland!

(blogger's note: HEY!...)

...

When people ask what bliss is
I simply answer this is!
Lolo, Dodo, Joujou,
Cloclo and Margot too!
But when it comes to kisses -
Goodbye, my Fatherland!
Njegus, my adored one. Where's our
revered Fatherland?


WHY in the heck did Hitler like this anyway?

Maybe once i've read more than just parts of the libretto i'll be able to posit an answer. Was it just the music? Or was there more to it for him? These answers and more, following a week of school (that is, i'll post again once spring break is here)???

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen Pluth said...

St. Bruno is cool.

2/20/2006 11:17 PM  
Blogger Emmanuyil said...

yup.

2/21/2006 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home